Monday, August 15, 2011

Covered In Rainbows

Not long after I was saved, I had a wonderful encounter with God. Jesus had saved me and I was glad of it, but my heart was broken by all the wreckage of my past. I was continually in the word and hungry for God. 

One day I stopped to put gas in my car, and while I was standing at the pump I was overwhelmed with grief, sorrow, and a longing for God. I remember looking into the sun. It was beautiful as it set that evening... and though He seemed very distant from my heart, somehow at that moment, I knew that I had an audience with our Creator. Looking into that sunset, with tears streaming down my face, I cried out, "Lord I'm Seeking You"!

At that very moment, as if someone tapped me on the shoulder, I turned around. As I turned, I was completely enveloped by the most beautiful rainbow I have ever seen. It was right there...as if  God himself had taken His brush and painted it over my head as I looked toward the sun and cried out to Him. It touched the ground on both sides, and at that moment I felt as if I were getting a glimpse into heaven. The tears began to flow even more as I was keenly aware of God's love and presence. I knew that rainbow had been placed there just for me, as a loving response to a child with a broken and contrite heart, from a caring Father. I didn't know all of the spiritual ramifications of it at the time, but somehow I knew it meant I was protected. It meant He was there and He cared for me enough to show me a beautiful sign of His protection...and love.

Today you may be in a similar situation. Maybe you have received Jesus as your Lord and savior, but you are not experiencing all the blessings you hear about on television. I want to encourage you today. He is right there with you. God promises that if you seek Him, you will find Him. The part people most often leave off of that promise is that it is conditional. He says "you will find me when you seek me with all your heart."

I know now that God never leaves us. The reason we only find him when we seek Him with all our heart is because that is the only time we are freed up from the distractions of this world long enough to hear Him. Do you know that one of the things I was amazed about that day, other than the magnitude and majesty of that amazing rainbow? People were everywhere; all around at the convenience store and gas pumps, and driving by in cars. But it was as if no one saw the rainbow but me. I am not saying nobody else saw it, but as I looked around at the people - as if I were thinking that it would stop traffic and everyone's stare would be locked onto this amazing rainbow, or on me as God was giving me this great revelation - they were not even paying attention. They were too distracted by the cares of this world to even notice.

 If we want all that God has to offer, we need to start by offering Him our time. He just wants to be recognized... He wants to be believed...And just like you and me, He wants to be loved...just for who He is.

Beloved, when God looks at you, it is as if you have a rainbow over your head. He is constantly reminded of the covenant He has made with His beautiful son Jesus. The first rainbow was placed in the sky as a reminder to God and man of His covenant with them not to destroy all life again by flood. But that was just a type of the wonderful covenant of peace we can now enjoy in His precious son Christ Jesus.

 If you belong to Jesus that is all God sees when He looks at you; the beauty and perfection of His beautiful and perfect son. He will never break His promises of love, forgiveness, and blessing toward you, because you are in Christ. Just remember that God wants you to stay aware of the "rainbow"; the covering of the covenant He has with Jesus.

When we do not take time for Him, and keep our mind renewed in His word, we allow the deceptions of the enemy to come into our minds and wreak havoc. So stay in constant communion with your loving Father, by walking in the Love of Jesus, and staying submitted to Him through His word and the Holy Spirit. Put God first... He loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life. 

"Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you.." Genesis 9:14, 15  

 "I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them..." Jeremiah 32:40

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD..." Jeremiah 29:11-14
 
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33

"...anyone who comes to him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek him." Hebrews 11:6

No comments:

Post a Comment