Friday, September 2, 2011

Jesus Is Approaching The Shore Of Your Graveyard Home

 Having calmed the fierce storm encountered that night on the sea, Jesus stepped off the boat. Right away he was met by a crazy man living in the tombs...naked, homeless, violent...possessed by demons. He cried out to Jesus asking "what do you want", and begging him not to torture him. But wait...it wasn't him at all...it was the demons living inside the man compelling him to speak out - thousands of them (a Legion-being somewhere between 3000 and 6000). They recognized Jesus as the Son of God, and though they had no part with him as Savior (having given up their home in heaven) they still knew him as judge. They were terrified of his power. But Jesus was not interested in the demons. He knew their time was coming. He would eventually throw Satan and all of his messengers into the Abyss (Rev. Ch.'s 9 & 20), but this was not the time. No, Jesus was after something else. He was there for the man. This man who was tormented, destitute, and ragged... Jesus was there for him. This was not the man that God had created him to be, and Jesus intended to set him free. The demons begged to be sent into a herd of pigs and Jesus allowed it. He didn't care about them, but he was not going to allow them to torture this man he loved any longer. Once Jesus gave the command, the man was freed from the demonic oppression. He was so grateful he wanted to go with Jesus, but he was not allowed. He was sent home to tell his loved ones and others in the town what God had done for him, and he did just that.

Many of us can identify with the man living in the tombs. Maybe never tormented to that extent, but even so, we have known rejection, anger, and poverty. Many of us even while living in a relatively comfortable environment have really been living in the tombs of our past. Tormented by depression, regret, fear, bitterness ...well, you get the point. Let me say this - If that is the case with you, Jesus is approaching the shore of your graveyard home. He loves you, and just as he contended with a violent storm on the sea to get to the man of the Geresenes almost 2000 yrs. ago, he will never stop short of rescuing you from your oppression - if you want him to. Jesus came so that we could live the abundant life we were created for.

The abundant life does not mean having anything we want in this world, although God is not against us having things - as long as we have proper perspective, putting him first in all things and using what we obtain to further his kingdom and bring him glory. The abundant life means living the life of an over-comer, free from the oppression of the devil and his messengers. When we are free of all the bitterness, unforgiveness, anger, lust and other baggage that weighs us down, then we will live a live of peace, love, and joy...the abundant life.

 When Jesus sets us free we are free indeed. And, just like the man from the tombs, we will want to tell everyone about God's goodness and his redeeming power. Yes, once you have a real encounter with Jesus it automatically makes you an evangelist, eager to share the good news with others. But you know what; it gets even more exciting than that. Only continue reading if you want all that God has for you.

When Jesus went away he promised to send the Holy Spirit, as one who comes along side of us, (a Parakleet) teaching and guiding us, and empowering us to do the will of the Father, just as He did. Yes, Jesus said those of us who believe in him will do greater things than He did. And what did He do? Well let's see what Peter said about it...Acts 10:38 "...God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and Power, and he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.".  Brothers and sisters, when Jesus comes to live in us, he wants to continue the ministry he began 2000 yrs. ago. He wants to continue it through us:

Read this confession out loud, then we will pray. - “I believe that Jesus wants to use me to continue his ministry in the earth. He was the first of many brethren, of which I am one. I am an ambassador of Christ here in this fallen world. Jesus saved me, therefore he lives in me; therefore it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me. He loves people. It is my responsibility as a child of the most high God to allow Christ in me, by the power of the Holy Spirit - to heal the sick, through me - to set the captives free, through me - to feed the hungry, through me - to preach the gospel, through me - to bind up the broken, through me. I purpose in my heart that by the faith of Christ, the Grace of God, and the power of the Holy Spirit, that I choose to allow him to make me into the person he created me to be, and to do all the things he predestined me to do. I acknowledge that apart from Jesus Christ I can do nothing, but I also acknowledge that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I give all glory to God, so I expect and allow him to do all the work through me."

Prayer: "Father I believe this to be your desire and so it is mine too. Let me not be in error, neither to the left nor to the right, but keep my feet squarely planted on the Rock, my Lord Jesus Christ.  If there is anything lacking in me, show me, so I can ask you to fill that space. In Jesus name I pray, Amen."

Awesome! Do you see the progression of God's plan of salvation for your life?
1. First you must be saved and set free.
2. That will enable and empower you to share the good news with others.
3. Then learn to walk by the power of the Holy Spirit, just as Jesus did, able by the faith of Christ, to unleash the power of God, his love, and grace into every situation.

It's as simple as 1, 2, 3 (just kidding about the simple part). Actually it is impossible, apart from The Holy Spirit, to live the Christian life, but with him it is made simple - so don't ever get ahead of him, but don't get left behind. Stay close to Jesus and enjoy the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment